Thanks so much to dr GANDara and everyone else at the uw dental academy for hosting us! We got to learn about dental health, careers, and we all got to take real xrays! what a fun way to end our year
alhamdulillah for another PHENOMENAL year. This year we had 9 meetings on the following topics: asset mapping, power of the personal story, uw field trip, q&a panel with health professionals, cooking class at pcc, minority pre-health conference/ doctor for a day, health equity, seattle children's hospital field trip/ simulation lab, and the uw dental academy. Here's what our healers had to say about this year on our end of year survey
- this year, there was no single winner-- everything from our health equity discussions to the hands on activities and field trips were enjoyed. one youth leader commented that they felt the seattle children's field trip was a lifetime experience because they want to be a pediatrician. another student commented that they are considering becoming a dentist after our field trip to uw dental school.
things we could do different
- more of everything! more discussions, more meetings, more hands on experience, more students - okay, we will see if we are up to the challenge next year!
what is something you learned from this program
- "Made me think about what career in health i want to do because I got exposure to them"
- "i learned that we can all help people in different ways"
- "Being a doctor is really amazing!"
- "I learned how to give back to my community"
- "There are so many DIFFERENT types of jobs inside the hospital, you don't have to be a doctor or nurse"
- "medicine isn't about 'fixing' people
- "I learned that you can have a set idea of your future, but its important to do programs like these so you can see if there are any other fields youll enjoy"
- "Its amazing to see muslim individuals who have similar goals"
it was a a joy and privilege to get to know our youth leaders this year, and to learn from awesome mentors in the seattle area ranging from health navigators to chefs to world peace activists. Thank you to everyone who committed their time and energy! you make our community a better place just by being you.
in peace and health
MHP Healers of Tomorrow
Read about our youth opportunities and get involved!